The objectives of the FP7 research theme 'Security' are:
- to develop the technologies and knowledge for building capabilities needed to ensure the security of citizens from threats such as terrorism, natural disasters, and crime, while respecting fundamental human rights and privacy.
- to ensure optimal and concerted use of available and evolving technologies to the benefit of civil European security;
- to stimulate the cooperation of providers and users for civil security solutions;
- to improve the competitiveness of the European security industry;
- to deliver mission-oriented research results to reduce security gaps.